G.A.L.A. is gearing up to hire our next Families in Transition AmeriCorps*VISTA member, when current member Aislinn Johnson leaves in August. Check out our job description and send it off to any interested candidates!
Description of Host Site: Global Awareness Local Action (G.A.L.A.) is a grassroots nonprofit focused on translating sustainability education into local action that is practical, effective, and fun. Visit our website at www.galacommunity.org
Position Title: Families in Transition AmeriCorps*VISTA program VISTA member serving for G.A.L.A., Program Director/Volunteer Coordinator (try fitting that on a business card, jk)
Job description: In this full-time position, the VISTA member will help make the community he/she serves more sustainable, desirable, and resilient, while developing nonprofit management skills in the process.
Specific duties will include:
• Expanding Sustain-A-Raisers: a program that engages youth in sustainable home and yard makeovers.
• Promoting Study Circles: community discussions around topics of sustainability
• Helping coordinate the third annual Farm-to-Table Feast, a collaborative of farms, chefs, and local food lovers.
• Improving volunteer outreach, management, and recognition.
• Helping to launch G.A.L.A.’s first membership drive.
• Assisting the Executive Director with various capacity-building efforts as they arise. This may involve writing grants, developing blog or newsletter articles, improving social media presence, or coordinating other programs and events.
• College graduate
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Highly organized and detail oriented
• Interest in environmental and sustainability issues
• Ability to work independently and take initiative
• Previous experience in event planning or program management desired
• Easy going demeanor and good sense of humor required
Contact: Send your resume or questions to Aislinn Johnson – firstname.lastname@example.org
Accepting applications: April 15, 2011 – June 13, 2011
Work Terms: August 8, 2011 – August 8, 2012
Note on the VISTA position: Being a VISTA is a rewarding, exciting experience, linking you to a national movement that allows you to give back to your community and help break the cycle of poverty. There are both challenges and rewards to life as a VISTA, so be sure to read more about it here before applying: http://www.fitnh.org/vista-program/be-a-vista